About the Department
The duties of the Tax assessor may be divided into the following major functions:
- Location of all real property in the taxing district.
- Listing and description of property in a systematic, convenient manner.
- Determining the taxability based on a variety of tax exemption and tax deduction statutes.
- Valuation of property through an appraisal of each property and an assessment based on that appraised value.
- Tax equalization responsibilities via district revaluation programs and for purposes of distributing State Aid to schools.
- Defense of assessments upon appeal.
- Maintaining a common level of assessments town wide.
Additional responsibilities include updating the tax maps, deed changes, property record cards, claims for tax deductions and exemptions, exempt property lists, assessment lists, added and omitted assessment lists, sales ratio data, certified lists, farmland applications.
The regular hours of the Tax Assessor Office are Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM.
Anna Maria McDougal, CTA
(908) 637-4133, ext 1014